Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, October 16, 2009

Movie Review - Adventureland (2009)

Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Hader, and Kristen Wiig
Directed by Greg Mottola

I really wish I could've cared about anyone in this movie, but I couldn't. Not in the slightest. Any movie where all the characters pretty much sit around and smoke pot all day never really does a thing for me. Life's so bad, let's smoke pot. Life's so boring, let's smoke pot. Let's smoke pot and giggle a lot.

The simple story is that James (Jesse Eisenberg) just finished college and can't find a job. He goes to work at the local amusement park in his hometown and he meets Em (Kristen Stewart) and falls in love with her. She's an emotionless bore and he's not much better.

Everything about this movie was just humdrum -- the actors, the story, the cliché 80s music. Em's dating the married park maintenance guy at the same time she's going out with James, but she gets angry when James starts dating the hottie worker from the amusement park, Lisa P (Margarita Levieva of Spread fame). What gives her the right to be angry? Who cares? There's some scene at the end where people cry and then they fight and it's all so unimportant.

Ugh...I really disliked this one. I realize this is one of the worst reviews ever, but I just don't care enough to give a damn about it.

The RyMickey Rating: D

1 comment:

  1. "What gives her the right to be angry? Who cares?"

    Uh...she's a woman?

    Also.
    I disagree.

    It's a bunch of ennui, obviously, but what movie based on young people isn't. At least it was enjoyable ennui(in my opinion.)

    Also, I like Jesse Eisenberg a lot, for some reason. Everyone compares him to Michael Cera but Eisenberg actually brings intelligence and charisma(at least a little) to the roles he plays. That is barring his role in The squid and the Whale, since that was a pretentious role in a very pretentious movie.

    One final note: I love Martin Starr in every single movie/show I've seen him in.(He's the nerdy guy) He is in complete synchronization with my sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete