Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Movie Review - Event Horizon (1997)

Starring Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlin, and Joely Richardson
Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson

I watched this movie on video shortly after it came out in the late 90s and I remember that it put me on edge. Not scared, per se, but it filled me with nervousness.

Cut to over ten years later and I wonder what the hell I was thinking back then.

The year is 2047 and we're exploring the outer realms of our solar system. A ship named the Event Horizon has gone missing on the other side of Neptune and a recovery ship - the Lewis and Clark - captained by Laurence Fishburne is sent to look for them. Shortly after they find the Event Horizon and dock there, strange things start happening to the crew and everyone soon begins to realize that the ship itself may be alive.

The final act of the film is genuinely creepy. But it wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as I remembered it...probably a bad thing that I had any recollection of the movie. Part of the problem is that the special effects are pretty awful. Even putting it in the context that it was made ten years ago, the effects are bad. And the actors are forced to deliver the most ridiculous lines. Just silly stuff.

Oh, well. I sometimes bring this movie up when I talk about movies that made me jumpy. At least I can now never talk about this movie again.

The RyMickey Rating: D+

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this the movie that people were leaving because they were getting sick? I never saw it because everyone else freaked me out about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out in the summer of '97...I'm thinking that's the time you were working at the theater, so it definitely could've been. I don't really remember and I don't really see why people would get sick over it other than that there were some really super quick camera cuts of bloodied corpses with their eyes torn out (fun!).

    ReplyDelete