Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Book a Week - If I Die in a Combat Zone

Book Thirty-Nine of the Book-a-Week Quest
Link
If I Die in a Combat Zone
by Tim O'Brien (1975)

Tim O'Brien's novel The Things They Carried is my favorite book that I've read on this year-long quest and quite possibly one of the best things I've ever read. If I Die in a Combat Zone doesn't quite live up to that book, but it still, at times, provides a gripping portrayal of the difficulties of being on the front lines of the Vietnam War.

A memoir of O'Brien's years leading up to and serving in Vietnam, the author once again shows an effortless, easy-to-read writing style. The unfortunate thing is that the author isn't nearly as interesting of a "character" as the GIs in his previous book. I found very little connection with the author, and, in a memoir, I feel like I should have cared about him a little bit. Plus, looking back on the book, not much really happens here...there's no major "battles" that occur and it almost feels as if O'Brien was just "hanging out" in the overgrown jungles. Now, I'm not trying to sound callous -- he certainly depicts difficult times and losing many of his fellow soldiers, but there just wasn't a whole lot going on here.

Still, like I already mentioned, O'Brien has a writing style that is incredibly easy to read. I'm certainly not opposed to picking up another of O'Brien's books.

8 comments:

  1. Do you want another of his? I only have one more and it's pretty good. I didn't really like it but it's generally considered his best book. It's called Going After Caciatto. I'd akin it to tripping on acid with a crapton of literary allusions. And for a non-war related(besides a few pages) book of his I'd reccommend July, July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'll take it...although, I will say that what bogged this one down to me (and that I didn't mention in the little write-up) was his discussions about poetry and Socrates/Aristotle/Plato.

    So, whether I make it through a book that chock full of literary allusions, I don't know...but I'll give it a shot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also recommend July July. I have it if you want to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't have any literary discussions. If you want it to be it can just be a straight fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, I'll take it, Jane. With you back in town, ma'am, I'm expecting some books to come my way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My books are never to be spoken of again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or the having of my books, rather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, now, Ms. Anonymous...the most recent book you gave me, Blackden, is in the short pile of the next things to read...

    I'll just never let you live down Of Human Bondage...which is odd because I actually didn't dislike the book...

    ReplyDelete