Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

The 2013 RyMickey Awards - Most Overrated Films

It's not that the films below were necessarily bad (although some were), but the passion for them from either the critics or public was a bit flabbergasting in some instances.

Most Overrated Films of 2013

#10 - The Heat - D
Although this one made $160 million, I'm not sure I laughed once.

#9 - Inside Llewyn Davis - C
Although it failed to garner any awards attention at the end of last year, the 94% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes lands it on this list.

#8 - Spring Breakers - D-
65% of the critics surveyed on Rotten Tomatoes liked this dreck.  The only reason it's not ranked higher is because the public absolutely despised it.

#7 - Lee Daniels' The Butler - D 
It's unfathomable to me that this got the positive reviews it did.  Did the critics see the same generic, boring, overacted movie I saw?

#5 - Blackfish - C+
Two documentaries that garnered a lot of attention at year's end.  20 Feet won an Oscar and while it was the best documentary I saw last year (and that's not saying much seeing as how I didn't see too many), I didn't quite get the fawning.  Blackfish was probably was the most buzzed about documentary in years...but it was incredibly one-sided.

#4 - Captain Philips - C+
Nominated for Best Picture, this one had some great moments, but a second half that dragged on for much too long.

#3 - Her - B
I must be honest -- I think I personally overrated this Best Picture-nominated flick.  It really hasn't resonated with me in the slightest.

#2 - Dallas Buyers Club - C+
Yet another Best Picture nominee that I didn't quite get.  An adequately acted Lifetime movie.

#1 (tie) - American Hustle - D+
#1 (tie) - Frozen - B-
These two were just so close, I couldn't choose a winner.

The best thing about Oscar Night this past year was American Hustle walking away with nothing.  I really didn't like this one at all and felt that David O. Russell was simply attempting to make a 1970s/80s Martin Scorsese pic...and it didn't work for me.

As far as Frozen goes, I love that it put Disney back on the animation map and I also love that it brought the animated musical back to the forefront.  That said, the music (which sold three million albums, would've been the #1 album released in 2013 had it made an appearance prior to last November, and spawned umpteen YouTube interpretations of the power ballad "Let It Go") was overrated, childish in its lyrics, and, quite frankly, the worst part of the very good film.

Previous Most Overrated Film "Winners"
2012

No comments:

Post a Comment