Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, April 18, 2011

The 2010 RyMickey Awards - Best Special Effects

I'll be the first to admit that special effects-driven movies don't excite me.  I don't mind watching the occasional comic book flick, but with very few exceptions, I don't fall head over heels for movies that throw a bunch of action set pieces to a wall hoping that something sticks. Still, there were a couple movies this year that used special effects to their storytelling advantage and they're awarded with the coveted RyMickey Award.

2010 Best Special Effects

#5 -- The Social Network
Here for only one reason and that's the seamless look of a single Armie Hammer as both members of the Winklevoss clan.

#4 -- Enter the Void
Let's be honest.  We become the "aura" of a dead man who travels inside of a woman's abdomen to witness the ejaculation of sperm from within.  I'm pretty sure we've never seen that before on film.  Granted, that's not the only odd special effect in this flick, but despite the quirkiness, these special effects work incredibly well.

#3 -- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
A comic book come to life.  Sometimes simple, sometimes not, but always clever.

#2 -- TRON: Legacy
This is one of those movies like I mentioned above where the special effects overpower the movie itself. That being said, I certainly appreciated the sophisticated effects.

#1 -- Inception
The above picture kind of screams out "'Nuff said" to me in terms of why this wins the category.  Yes, the film itself may have faded upon a second viewing.  However, I'm still very appreciative of how, unlike #2 above, the special effects play a vital role in the actual storytelling of the movie itself.

2 comments:

  1. Although this has absolutely nothing to do with this entry, I just wanted to tell you how happy your reviews make me. Since I rarely have time to see movies here (or even when I do, don't usually go) I always enjoy hearing your opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch, Cassie. Always nice to hear from people on here. I'm sure you'll up your movie-going quotient in a month when you return!

    ReplyDelete