Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Movie Review - Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 (2010)
Starring Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johannson, Sam Rockwell, Paul Bettany (voice), and Mickey Rourke
Directed by Jon Favreau

I watched Iron Man 2 nearly two weeks ago now and never got around to writing anything about it.  One would think that I hated it.  That's certainly not the case.  In fact, for the film's first hour, I found it very engaging and actually a bit more enjoyable than the origin story that took place in the first film.  However, as hour two rolled around, the excitement level actually dwindled and the climax was quite a letdown.  

Still, the Iron Man series is one that I'll continue to watch mainly because of Robert Downey, Jr., who puts in quite a spirited cynical, semi-sardonic turn as the billionaire Tony Stark.  The problem with the film, I guess, is that when Stark is in the Iron Man get-up, I really just want him to become the enjoyable Tony Stark again.

Supporting roles in this one were decent across-the-board.  Gwyneth Paltrow has seemingly become one of the most hated celebrities on the planet according to some blogs I read, but I'm not quite sure why.  She's decent enough and does what is required of her barely fleshed-out role.  Scarlett Johannson, Sam Rockwell, and Don Cheadle (replacing the original Iron Man's wooden Terrence Howard) are all welcome additions.  Mickey Rourke is still coasting on his Wrestler mystique and his second helping of fifteen minutes of fame is about up.  He's okay here as the Russian nemesis to Stark, but he's nothing special.

I realize this isn't much of "review," but seeing as how I haven't posted anything in nearly a week, I was kinda tiring of staring at the same thing at the top of the page.

The RyMickey Rating:  C+

4 comments:

  1. Sooo damn mediocre.


    And worst final fight in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That final fight capped off an unimpressive final hour. For the life of me, I can't quite understand why they didn't make the race car scene the culminating event of the movie. There was actually some genuine excitement there. But three (not just two) Iron Men battling it out doesn't make exciting cinema.

    Still, I think it was a tad better than average simply because I like the character of Stark and at least find him much more interesting than his comic book kin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll put it this way: I was happier after I watched Iron Man than after Iron Man 2.

    And I was dumped almost immediately after I watched Iron Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy not to stare at the same thing at the top of the page anymore.

    ReplyDelete