Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Elijah Wood Early 90s Mini Film Festival

Back in the 90s, I actually used to go and see films because of actors.  I hadn't gotten to the point in my life where the liberal mindsets of people like Tom Hanks off the screen (as an example) made me and my socially and politically conservative tendencies dislike them on the screen as it sometimes does now.

One of the first actors who I began to follow was Elijah Wood.  Seeing as how (a) he's only a year younger than I, (b) his films had a tendency to be rated PG or PG-13, and (c) his films tended to veer towards the serious side and my cultured cinematic mind was already burgeoning at the age of 12, he was one of the first actors who I guess you could say I followed through film.  In my mind back then, I thought this kid was a good actor.  Roger Ebert apparently agreed with me back then, stating that "Wood has emerged...as the most talented actor in his age group in Hollywood history."  That's a huge statement.  The question now is do any of his early films hold up today?

The Elijah Wood Early 90s Mini Film Festival will attempt to answer that question and also attempt to make me nostalgic for my youth.  The films selected are from a short span of time -- 1992-1994.  Looking at Wood's imdb filmography, after '94 I apparently didn't care anymore, and Wood swiftly flew off my radar (it's possible that '96's Flipper made me vehemently dislike the young actor for his choice in films).

The following films chosen for the festival are all available on Netflix's streaming service, so feel free to join in the conversation and take in a viewing or two along with me.  (No, unfortunately, 1993's The Adventures of Huck Finn is not streaming or else it would have been included seeing as how it was Wood's single venture into the realm of Disney.)

Monday, April 4:  Radio Flyer (1992) 
co-starring Joseph Mazzello of Jurassic Park fame and an uncredited cameo from Tom Hanks

Tuesday, April 5:  Forever Young (1992)
co-starring Mel Gibson and Jamie Lee Curtis

Wednesday, April 6:  The Good Son (1993)
co-starring Macauley Culkin as The Bad Son

Thursday, April 7:  North (1994)
co-starring Jon Lovitz (!) and Bruce Willis

Friday, April 8: The War (1994)
co-starring Kevin Costner

4 comments:

  1. Where did Radio Flyer go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's back...I posted it a day too early...was just a tease...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note: The Good Son does NOT hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may see that I differ in that opinion on The Good Son...You'll just have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete