Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Social Network...A Revisit

My original Social Network review can be found here and while my opinion hasn't changed a whole lot, I did find the flick a little more engaging this time around.

Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor's Oscar-nominated score fared much better on the small screen.  Additionally, after re-reading my review, I found it surprising that I failed to really mention Armie Hammer as the Winklevoss twins.  A nice job from Mr. Hammer who I'd never seen in anything prior to this.  Also, I find the scene in which Andrew Garfield's Eduardo tells Mark Zuckerberg to "lawyer up" to be kinda genius.

The "problem" with the film is that I still feel very distant from the character of Zuckerberg.  Jesse Eisenberg does a fine job, but the role itself is just very flat.  With the exception of the final scene in which Zuckerberg realizes that his invention has ruined a great friendship, I just fail to get emotionally invested in the character.  There are times where I feel like I should give a damn about the guy, but I can't.

Still, The Social Network is a fine film, but I think its placement on the Top 20 of 2010 chart on the right is appropriate.  Maybe a slight adjustment upon a second viewing of Toy Story 3 and The Town will shake up current spots 9 through 11, but it's still nearly correctly charted.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I stopped reading after the title didn't say "best film in years"

    At least you paid attention to the soundtrack however

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really think it was the best film in years? I don't remember (I'm getting old).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal favorite in years, probably since Children of Men

    ReplyDelete