Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Movie Review - The A-Team

The A-Team (2010)
Starring Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Jessica Biel, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Sharlto Copley, and Patrick Wilson
Directed by Joe Carnahan

I've never seen an episode of the television show The A-Team, so I have no clue if this flick is some bastardization of the premise.  The lack of connection to the show may have helped my opinion of the flick as I shockingly enjoyed this ridiculous action movie.  Granted, I tend to like my action movies a little more grounded in reality, but despite the ludicrousness of many a scene, I enjoyed this one.  

I hate to harp on Stallone's The Expendables, but a little injection of humor into that one may have helped things out quite a bit as the cast of The A-Team realizes that when you're dealing with ridiculous plotlines that have army tanks parachuting out of airplanes you need to have fun with things.  As much as I want to dislike the smarmy Bradley Cooper, I liked his machismo in this one.  He was seemingly enjoying himself while working on this one and it paid off.  His pairing with the more solemn Liam Neeson worked quite well.  While I wish they could have maybe found a better Mr. T clone than the wooden Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Cooper and Neeson more than made up for Jackson's inadequacies.  

Yeah, I could get into plot here, but it really doesn't matter.  The whole thing's silly and so insanely implausible that if I sat here and typed it out, I think I'd wonder what the hell was wrong with me for liking the movie.  So, instead, I'll just say that while The A-Team is no masterpiece, it absolutely kept my interest for two hours and is worth your time if you want some mindless entertainment.

The RyMickey Rating:  B-

4 comments:

  1. No mention of Sharlto Copley?
    Seriously?
    He was fucking hilarious.

    Also: "What are they trying to do!"
    "They're trying to fly that tank"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Copley made me laugh...the character I didn't care for so much, though. Kind of a throwaway...didn't really advance the plot in any way.

    I'm actually moderately disappointed the flick kinda tanked (in terms of "summer blockbuster" potential). Like many others, I dismissed this one wrongly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yeah, I could get into plot here, but it really doesn't matter."

    "Kind of a throwaway...didn't really advance the plot in any way."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh...

    I still think the character was a throwaway...a character that didn't really need to be there, but was...I still liked him, but he fell in the middle of it all and often, when something is neither amazing or awful, it gets neglected...

    ReplyDelete