Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Movie Review - Elevator to the Gallows

Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) (1958)
Starring Maurice Ronet, Jeanne Moreau, Georges Poujouly, and Yori Bertin
Directed by Louis Malle
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

I don't know the first thing about French cinema, but after watching Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows, I want to explore the country's film output much more.  I was riveted while watching this pseudo-Hitchcockian film where instead of using the Hitchcock staple of "the wronged man," everyone's a fugitive from justice, having all committed wrongs as they attempt to escape from the law who's on the hunt for them.

The story is shockingly simple and, to be completely honest, I'm rather amazed that the film held my attention as much as it did.  Florence (Jeanne Moreau) and Julien (Marice Ronet) are having an affair and as the film opens, they are discussing their plan to murder Florence's husband.  Seeing as how Julien carries out the crime in the first ten minutes of the film, it's not spoiling anything to state their plan is a success.  However, through a series of events, Julien gets stuck in his office building's elevator and with Florence's husband dead eight floors up, panic sets in rather quickly.

At the same time, young teenage couple Louis (Georges Poujouly) and Veronique (Yori Bertin) steal Julien's car.  As they escape to a motel outside of the city, things quickly get out of hand for the youths and they find themselves in nearly as much trouble as Julien.

As I've stated before, I'm a big film noir fan and this film certainly falls into that category.  From the man committing a crime to be with a woman to the long shadows along the dark city streets, noir characteristics are prevalent and carried out quite well.  I've certainly heard of Louis Malle before, but I've only seen one other film of his (Damage, which is reviewed here), so I'm not familiar with his work.  Elevator to the Gallows is his first film and it's simply beautiful to look at.  Helped by a cool, jazzy improvisational score from Miles Davis, I was completely enthralled by everything.  

This is once again one of those reviews of something that I really liked which may not sound overly enthusiastic.  However, I certainly think that upon a second viewing, this film may rise up from the rating below to a solid 'A'.

The RyMickey Rating:  A-


3 comments:

  1. Check out Breathless and Godard in general

    Aaaaay! Breathless is streaming too. No reason not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not get hoodwinked into watching Richard Gere Breathless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would take a lot to get hoodwinked into watching anything with Richard Gere. I don't hate the guy, but I can't say I'm a fan.

    I did, however, add Breathless (non-Richard Gere) to the queue...

    ReplyDelete