Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Movie Review - Despicable Me

Despicable Me (2010)
Featuring the voices of Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Will Arnett, and Kristen Wiig
Directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud

Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon, but the animated flick Despicable Me just didn't resonate with me in the slightest.  I came away with the equivalent of shrugged shoulders -- it wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it was just "meh."

Ultimately, the fault lies in the story because the animation and voice acting are more than adequate.  While the idea behind the flick is amusing enough -- a down-on-his-luck, aging evil villain plots the ultimate crime by stealing the moon -- Despicable Me becomes bogged down by the addition of three orphaned girls who attempt to provide an emotional counterpoint to the lunacy of the villain.  In its attempt at aiming for the "heart" that Pixar is so adept at providing in its films, Despicable Me doesn't succeed.  I'm honestly not quite sure why the filmmakers attempted to go for the emotion because sometimes simple fun is more than enough.

In the end, my lack of words in this review is because I'm just "meh" on Despicable Me.  I didn't like or dislike it...it was just 85 minutes of "meh."

The RyMickey Rating:  C

2 comments:

  1. This was a fantastic movie. I could have totally enjoyed it by self but having my two daughters with me made it even better. As far as they are concerned there has never been nor shall there ever be ANYTHING cuter than a Minion. We actually missed it in the theater (the youngest was sick with the flu) but as a DISH customer/employee we were able to catch it in HD. I have access to the most HD channels in the industry with DISH, but as far as the kids are concerned the only channel we need is the one with Despicable Me on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice commercial plug, but I'm sorry you didn't sway me to DISH...

    ReplyDelete