Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Book a Week - Revolutionary Road


Book Eight of the Book-A-Week Quest

Revolutionary Road
by Richard Yates (1961)

If you read my previous review of the movie version of Revolutionary Road, you'll know that I loved the movie -- one of the best of 2008 to be sure.

The book did not disappoint either.  It's really amazing that Yates wrote this in 1961.  It feels so current -- the themes of an unhappy home life, cheating spouses, and unrequited dreams would easily fit if the characters were transported to 2009.

Yates excels at dialogue.  So much of it rings so true.  Entirely believable, I could hear the words being spoken as I read it (and this wasn't just because much of the dialogue was taken word for word for the film version).  The way he wrote the characters' inner monologues -- from main characters Frank and April Wheeler to secondary characters like real estate agent Mrs. Givings and next-door neighbor Shep -- were realistic and spot-on.  I truly think this book contained some of the best dialogues I've ever read.

Although I think I like Of Mice and Men a little better (likely only because I had no idea what happened in that book and Revolutionary Road was closely mirrored in the film version), this one was a great read -- and an easy one, too.  By that, I don't mean it was light, by any means.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  While Yates' writing style may be eloquent, it's a sad, depressing read.  But sometimes sad, depressing reads are what you're in the mood for.  And if that's the case, Revolutionary Road fits the bill to a tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment