Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, January 19, 2015

Movie Review - Coherence

Coherence (2014)
Starring Hugo Armstrong, Nicholas Brendon, Emily Foxler, Elizabeth Gracen, Lauren Maher, Alex Manugian, Lorene Scafaria, and Maury Sterling
Directed by James Ward Byrkit
***This film is streaming on AMAZON PRIME***

Holy smokes...this is a weird one that I desperately wish I had watched with someone else to get their opinion on it.  Coherence starts off rather normally with a group of eight adult friends gathering for a dinner party.  It just so happens that a rare comet is passing over earth on this evening and as the dinner party progresses, some weird things begin to happen with guests and their reality starts to bend out of control.

This low budget sci fi thriller is a doozy...and I mean that in the best way possible.  First time director and writer James Ward Byrkit has crafted a film that rather surprisingly pays off and -- I think -- resolves itself somewhat in the end which, considering the sometimes convoluted talk of quantum physics and Schrödinger's Cat, I can't believe I actually understood.  I realize that everything I'm saying thus far may be a huge turnoff to some, but Coherence is a film in which it pays to give it your full attention.  Quite frankly, that's not too difficult to do as I found the ensemble of eight actors -- none of whom you're likely familiar with except for Nicholas Brendan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame -- to be compelling, believable, and incredibly natural with their purportedly mostly improvised dialog.  Before "odd" things start to happen, Byrkit allows the characters to root themselves into the plot with backstories that seem logical and this initial basis upon which we get to know the characters is helpful as the film progresses.

I'm sure next to no one has seen this movie, but I highly recommend it.  It's a tad difficult to discuss without giving away too many details, but color me surprised that this film somehow makes physics comprehensible and oddly intriguing.  Someone please watch this one so we can have a discussion!

The RyMickey Rating:  B+

No comments:

Post a Comment