Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Movie Review - Sleepwalk with Me

Sleepwalk with Me (2012)
Starring Mike Birbiglia, Lauren Ambrose, James Rebhorn, Carol Kane, and Cristin Milioti
Directed by Mike Birbiglia
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

I am not an aficionado of stand-up comedians so Mike Birbiglia was a name that never crossed my radar ever before.  Apparently known for his work on National Public Radio as well as several Off-Broadway one-man shows, I went into Sleepwalk with Me completely blind and I found the semi-autobiographical story simple, sweet, and a nice diversion.

Birbiglia plays Matt Pandamiglio, a guy who tends bar at a stand-up comedy club and occasionally gets to take the stage when some of the talent doesn't show up.  One night, a talent agent shows up at the club and after much prodding Matt convinces her to allow him to do several gigs across the country.  As Matt's popularity grows, he finds himself leaving his lovely longtime girlfriend Abby (Lauren Ambrose) home alone.  While Matt loves Abby, he's quite the commitment-phobe, but after attending his sister's (Cristin Milioti of Broadway's Once) wedding, he feels forced to pop the question and succumb to the idea of marriage.  Needless to say, Matt's burgeoning career forces both of them to question their relationship and what they both want from love.

Sleepwalk with Me is sappy without a doubt, but its comedy has enough of a bite that it doesn't ever feel too overly sweet.  There's a humorous subplot involving Matt's tendency to sleepwalk (hence the title), funny scenes involving Matt's parents (James Rebhorn and Carol Kane), and some nice stand-up bits peppered throughout that also add to the film's charm.  However, the biggest reason the film works is the scenes between Birbiglia and Ms. Ambrose.  Both have a down-to-earth presence that you want in a movie like this.  Think back to Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle -- yes, they were stars, but they felt "normal" and that's what you feel when watching this movie, too.  Don't get me wrong, this is no Sleepless in Seattle (which is one of my favorite movies of all time and in my Personal Canon), but Sleepwalk with Me exudes that same sense of wit, charm, love, and goshdarn niceness that it's certainly worth your time.

The RyMickey Rating:  B

(On a side note, I want to point out that on the poster, there's a quote from Judd Apatow which says "A funny and insightful movie.  I could have watched it for ten hours."  Had Apatow made this, it might have been ten hours long, but this comedy clocks in at something like ninety minutes which is near perfect for a flick like this.)

7 comments:

  1. The book is the last book I've read and I freakin' loved it.

    It's more of a series of stories than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was completely unaware it was a book. Perhaps I will head to the library...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched it. It's definitely a good companion piece to the novel. Taken on it's own it's still surprisingly good.

    Also, you should watch The Tall Man on Netflix Instant. It... It's something. Not at all what it looks like at the beginning or from the description. I'd call it an ambitious failure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tall Man has been in my instant queue for a while now simply for that moment when I feel like a horror film (which I'm not sure it is). I'll certainly consider watching it sooner now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want a horror movie, you should probably watch Mama. The ending is fucking awful but it's pretty good other than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama is on my list...but the months of January-March are always my moviegoing theater slump...just can't get myself to go and watch them when I know they'll be on dvd by summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wanna watch a horror movie--watch The Perfect Man.
    Zing!

    ReplyDelete