Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Movie Review - It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Starring Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell, and Henry Travers
Directed by Frank Capra

I'm one of the few people in America who had not yet seen It's a Wonderful Life.  Much like the reason I've never decided to tackle the Star Wars series, I had a bit of a worry that after waiting so long to see this apparently classic Jimmy Stewart film, I'd be a bit disappointed.  Fortunately, that wasn't the case, however, I'm not quite entirely sure why it's endured as well as it has.

Don't get me wrong...It's a Wonderful Life is a good film with some really solid performances from Jimmy Stewart as working man George Bailey, Donna Reed as his long time love Mary, and Lionel Barrymore as the crotchety banker Henry Potter.  I just think it's a teensy bit too drawn out.  Let's be honest...the really good, emotionally riveting stuff occurs once December 24th hits and George's uncle loses that $8000 in cash sending good old George into a downward spiral resulting in his attempt at ending his life so his family can at least reap his life insurance policy.  (If you, like me, haven't seen this movie yet, crawl out from under the rock you've been living under.  No apologies for spoilers, here.)  Once Clarence (Henry Travers) comes down from heaven to work his magic on George, the film becomes surprisingly heartwrenching.  I actually found myself getting a tiny bit choked up -- no tears, or anything, but the story was quite touching.

It's the final act that makes It's a Wonderful Life the classic it has become.  It's a bit of a shame that it takes so long to get there, but it's a film I imagine I'll watch again in a few years.  While it won't become an annual tradition for me, it's definitely deserving another watch down the line.

The RyMickey Rating:  B
[Note: I realize the above is not much of a review, but I'm so late to the game with this one, I figured why bother with a lengthy opinion.]

No comments:

Post a Comment