Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie Review - April Fool's Day

April Fool's Day (1986)
Starring Biff from Back to the Future and a bunch of interchangeable college age kids
Directed by Fred Walton

When a group of preppy sex-crazed college kids head to some Martha's Vineyard-esque coastal town for a final hurrah with their good friend Muffy (hey, I told you they were preppy...what other caliber of people name their kids Muffy?), they're looking forward to a great weekend.  Little do they know that they'll all begin getting picked off one by one by some unknown villain.

In and of itself, April Fool's Day is a run of the mill 80s horror flick, but I couldn't help but like it despite my better judgment.  Lacking violent acts, but still creating enough tension to keep me interested, the tale ends up being one of the least bloody horror movies I've ever seen.  I say that only so that you know what you're getting into.  While a slasher film of sorts, it's quite "un-slasher-like."  Also, and rather surprisingly, the acting was better than I expected it would be as well which certainly makes the movie a bit more enjoyable than it probably deserves to be.

If you go into April Fool's Day expecting a quick 85-minute diversion, you'll find yourself having a pleasant enough time.

The RyMickey Rating:  C+

No comments:

Post a Comment