Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Movie Review - The Roommate

The Roommate (2011)
Starring Leighton Meester, Minka Kelly, Cam Gigandet, Aly Michalka, Frances Fisher, and Billy Zane
Directed by Christian E. Christiansen

Fatal Attraction meets Single White Female in The Roommate, a teenage spin on obsession.  The acting here from Leighton Meester and Minka Kelly -- two ladies whom I'm not familiar with in the slightest -- as, respectively, the crazy one and the one who feels the brunt of the lunatic's insanity is pretty much as bland as could be.  Add to that the complete lack of suspense and the failure to up the "cheese factor" (AKA "so bad they're good moments") until the film's ridiculous finale and this is on the lower rung of teen horror flicks (which we all know, for the most part, occupy quite a low rung most of the time anyway).  

To be completely honest, I think I wrote this movie already in seventh grade.  It was a masterpiece about an obsession between two high school gals -- one crazy and one sane -- I called FRIeND (yes, the 'e' was lowercase for some reason) crafted back in those days when I thought I was actually good at creative writing.  I think it may be time to look back on the heaps of corny horror "novels" I wrote and see if I can make it in Hollywood.  It's not like it can be a whole lot worse than this dreck they're producing nowadays.

The RyMickey Rating:  D-

No comments:

Post a Comment