Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, September 05, 2011

Movie Review - Leviathan

Leviathan (1989)
Starring Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays, and Chris Elliot
Directed by George P. Cosmatos
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

Don't ask.  I don't know why Leviathan was ever in my Netflix queue, but it was.  And it popped up as a new Instant Watch flick and I was in the mood for cheese, so I put it on.  A mix of Alien and The Thing taking place on an underwater deep-sea mining vessel, this thing is silly, pointless, yet kept my interest for a good chunk of it.  There's some craziness involving some sunken Russian ship that somehow houses a human genetic mutation that manages to get aboard this US vessel and wreaks havoc on the crew.  

Leviathan is anything but original.  It comes complete with "alien life form breaking through the sternum of a human" a la its sci-fi predecessor Alien, but it at least knows that it's hokey...although it actually could've stood to be a little more tongue-in-cheek.

By no means am I saying Leviathan is any good, but I guess you could fare worse.  That said, I'm kind of in the mood to watch Deep Blue Sea now for some reason...and that's coming to Instant Watch very soon...

The RyMickey Rating:  C-

No comments:

Post a Comment