Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Movie Review - The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
Starring Matthew McConaughey, Ryan Phillippe, Marisa Tomei, Josh Lucas, John Leguizamo, Frances Fisher, and William H. Macy
Directed by Brad Furman

You've seen movies like The Lincoln Lawyer before.  Courtroom tales featuring twists and turns galore with somewhat quirky characters peppered throughout.  Nothing new is brought to the table here and, if I'm being honest, there's not a thing about this movie that would make it seem worthy to be seen on the big screen.  But, seeing as how it's now on dvd, when watching it in the comfort of your own home, the flick becomes a perfectly adequate little mystery even if it tries too hard sometimes to be a little edgier than the rather stodgy story permits it to be.

Rich playboy Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillippe) gets accused of beating up a prostitute and hires the smarmy and somewhat sleazy lawyer Mick Haller (Matthew McConaughey) to represent him.  With the help of his detective-for-hire Frank Levin (William H. Macy), Mick begins to uncover the truth behind the crime Louis is convicted of and soon begins to realize that there is more to Louis than he seems to be revealing.

If the summary above seems a little bland and uninspired, that's because the movie itself isn't anything particularly special.  As I've said, there's nothing new brought to the table here.  And, if I'm being honest, I'm surprised I was as interested as I was considering the fact that both Matthew McConaughy and Ryan Phillippe aren't exactly known in my mind as having the best acting chops.  Their performances here do nothing to change my tune.

Still, somehow for some inexplicable reason, I somewhat enjoyed The Lincoln Lawyer.  I can't really explain why, so I won't even try (which I realize is the antithesis of what a review is supposed to do).

The RyMickey Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment