Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The RyMickey Awards 2010 - Best Director

2009's RyMickey Award for Best Director went to the Oscar-winning Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker.  Does this year's Oscar winner Tom Hooper take my top spot?

Best Director

Runners-up
#10 -- David O. Russell - The Fighter
#9 -- Ethan Coen and Joel Coen - True Grit
#8 -- Edgar Wright - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
#7 -- Christopher Nolan - Inception
#6 -- Derek Cianfrance - Blue Valentine

And the Top Five...

#5 -- Gaspar Noé - Enter the Void
Normally, I'd call a director out for letting his film go on for way too long and not utilizing his or her editor to their fullest potential.  However, Noé was just so ingenious in his odd stagings of scenes, that I can't help but be intrigued by the whole affair.

#4 -- Matt Reeves - Let Me In
An eerie undertone throughout, Reeves created a very adult horror movie that is character-driven rather than drenched in blood (which is why it ultimately and undeservedly tanked at the box office).

#3 -- David Fincher - The Social Network
Fincher is always a director that I tend to like and this flick is no exception.  As I said in my review, the film is rather cold, but Fincher uses it in a way to mirror the main character's seemingly emotionless front he puts on when he's with others.

#2 -- Danny Boyle - 127 Hours
One guy...alone...for nearly 80 minutes.  And I wasn't bored.  Boyle used clever camera angles and didn't overuse his stylized quick cuts that he's so prone to flaunt.

#1 -- Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
And for the second straight year, the Oscar winner takes the prize.  I realize Hooper's win was actually greatly criticized, but what Hooper did with this film was kind of amazing.  This movie had no right to be entertaining.  It's a period piece about a king who stutters.  I'm yawning just having to type that.  However, Hooper culled some great performances out of his actors and made the film visually appealing without ever feeling the least bit stuffy.  So, kudos to you, Mr. Hooper.

1 comment:

  1. Your post came to my e-mail, and I was quite confused because I really thought I put him on my list...and sure enough, he was there...

    ReplyDelete