Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Movie Review - The Funhouse

The Funhouse (1981)
Directed by Tobe Hooper
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

I haven't quenched my recently unearthed horror movie thirst in quite a while, so I figured I might as well give The Funhouse a go.  I mean, it was directed by Tobe Hooper and, if I'm being completely honest, his Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of the few movies that have genuinely unsettled me.  This flick was kind of a chore to sit through, however.

Filled with a cast of 80s unknowns all of whom stayed unknown likely because their acting abilities leave much to be desired, a quartet -- two guys and two gals -- on a double date head to a local traveling carnival for some fun.  While there, they get the genius idea of hiding out in the funhouse overnight just for kicks.  In the middle of the night, they witness a murder and the killer (and his carny family) is certainly not going to let them get away.

There are one or two jump moments, but nothing happened in this movie until about 45 minutes in and by that point, I was already halfway checked out.  There's a silly, stupid subplot involving the younger brother of one of the girls trapped in the funhouse.  It's pointless and there only to pad the running time.  Add in a ridiculously ludicrous killer, his wacko father, and a very disappointing and unexciting conclusion and it's certainly not worth anyone's time.

The RyMickey Rating:  D-

No comments:

Post a Comment