Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Theater Review - Jersey Boys

Jersey Boys
Book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice
Music by Bob Gaudio // Lyrics by Bob Crewe
Directed by Des McAnuff
When: Saturday, July 10, 2010
Where: August Wilson Theater, NYC
What: Musical, Professional Theater, Broadway

Posts like this are really only done for my own personal "history" -- a "what I was doing then" kind of thing to look back on in a few years.  I realize that no one who reads this (well, there may be a few) will have any desire to see this whatsoever (and, honestly, I'm one of those people, too...had no desire to see this thing).

Anyway, I'm a fan of Frankie Valli and the Four Season.  I was raised on their music by my folks and it's catchy 60s pop.  This is the story of how the group came to be.

I can see you liking this Broadway show if you fall into one of the following groups:
  1. You are from New Jersey -- Every time "Jersey" was mentioned, the crowd went crazy...and I rolled my eyes.
  2. You are Italian -- Valli and his bandmates were "good" Italian kids -- getting into trouble, spending time in jail -- like all Italians, right?  While that could certainly have been their life, I couldn't help but feel like I was simply watching the "stereotypical" representation of an Italian kid from Jersey.
  3. You are over 50 -- Despite popular belief, I'm not there yet.  Since I've actually only just begun my third decade, I don't quite fall into this category, but, if you do, I can understand that there would be some kind of nostalgia there for you.
To me, the show was poorly written (seriously, I honestly feel like I could have written better dialog) and only adequately staged.  Admittedly, the singers were quite good.  The young guy playing Frankie Valli had Valli's high-pitched squeals down to a tee.  His fellow bandmates were good as well.  It was fine to watch, but that's the only adjective I can use to describe it -- fine.  I can't really get excited about this in either a bad or good way because it was just...fine.  I don't understand how this show still sells out nearly every showing after five-plus years in New York City.  It's really nothing special.

Anyway, here's a few YouTube clips of the original Frankie Valli:

Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (seriously, one of my favorite songs ever):




Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me) (My second favorite Frankie Valli song):




December 1963 (Oh What a Night) (Wow...this clips sounds kinda awful...):

Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (Lauryn Hill cover -- pretty awesome, too -- plus it comes from the Mel Gibson movie "Conspiracy Theory" and who doesn't love Mel Gibson nowadays?):

2 comments:

  1. Screw you i saw this 4 years ago in the 3rd row because my grandma is awesome. No lie. I fucking loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. People freakin' love this thing...I just kinda felt like I was watching a concert...When he finds out that his daughter died, I kinda laughed a little...I don't think I was supposed to do that...

    Do you happen to be Italian, though? 'Cause then you fall into one of those three aforementioned categories in which you'll automatically love this one...

    ReplyDelete