Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, July 02, 2010

Movie Review - The Crazies (2010)

The Crazies (2010)
Starring Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell
Directed by Breck Eisner


I'm not really going to dwell on this review except to say that the best way to describe this horror film about a virus that causes a town to go crazy was "conventional."  It's not that The Crazies is a bad film -- it's just that there's not a single thing new brought to the screen.  It's well made, well shot, moderately well acted (Timothy Olyphant seems to ham it up a bit every now and then), and contains a few moments of genuine edge-of-your-seat tension, but in the end, it walks a much-too-familiar line.

You could fare much worse in terms of a horror flick, but don't go into this one expecting to see anything other than the ordinary.

The RyMickey Rating:  C+

5 comments:

  1. As much as I agree with the 'cliched' aspect, it's not really cliche anymore. It's not based on a bunch of kids who instead of running for their lives they're getting stoned and having sex. It was a bunch of adults who were generally making intelligent choice. And I found that refreshing.

    Also, car wash scene, holy fuck.

    And I'm getting it from Netflix tomorrow, so I'll probably post again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for horror movies focusing on adults rather than teens (see Orphan). I actually think that was on of the few positive aspects of the recently reviewed Stepfather.

    I just couldn't really get into this one at all...like I said, it was a well made flick that had a few moments of tension (I will agree that the car wash scene was nice and there was something very eerie about that guy dragging the pitchfork), but when your climax is basically a guy fighting hillbilly zombies, I kind of zone out.

    I think part of my disenchantment lies in the fact that zombie movies (which this essentially is) aren't really my thing to begin with. I liked 28 Days Later (and admired 28 Weeks Later), but beyond that, I'm not really a fan of the zombie flick.

    (Zombieland gets credit, too)

    Side Note: I will say that I got really angry when the mother and son zombie combo tied up Radha Mitchell rather than killing her. It annoyed the shit out of me. I guess they weren't quite to the point of nuttiness as many others in the town and still had it in their heads that were going to "enact revenge" on the guy who killed their loved one, but it just pissed me off that she was tied up and not dead when he walked into the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a blast with it. He stabbed that bitch with a knife in his hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it was just a bad night for me...

    And that stabbing with the knife stuck in his hand was a one redeeming part of that scene. 'Twas pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete