Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Book Review - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
by J. K. Rowling

I remember this being my favorite movie of the bunch (what with Alfonso Cuarón's dark take on the source material), but I think I enjoyed book two a little more than this one.  At 435 pages, Rowling is certainly becoming a more fluent, easier-to-read writer as I go through the series, but she's still filling the books with superfluous nonsense.  Do I really need a whole chapter devoted to a Quidditch game?  [The less I have to read about Bludgers and Keepers in the next four books the better.]  Do I really need a character like the "psychic" Professor Trewlawny who has a whole chapter devoted to her, but serves little to no purpose in the grand scheme of the novel?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying reading these books, but I'm not really enthused about them. 

2 comments:

  1. jeff...let me just say...you DO need a chapter on Professor Trelawney. so chill...and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

    ReplyDelete