Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, March 01, 2013

Movie Review - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Starring Howard Keel and Jane Powell
Directed by Stanley Donen

So I have no idea why I watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers except that I think my mom made me watch this about twenty years ago and when I saw it pop up on Turner Classic Movies during their February Oscar Month, I figured I'd give it a shot as I didn't remember hating it. Well, despite some amusing dance sequences, this 1950s musical doesn't really have any lasting appeal.

The film revolves around the seven Pontipee brothers living in the wilderness of 1850s Oregon.  With no woman to cook and clean for them, eldest brother Adam (Howard Keel) heads to the nearest town to pick up supplies and a fine woman to bring home.  Rather conveniently, he comes across Milly (Jane Powell) who immediately falls for the strapping outdoorsman when he comes in to the restaurant where she works.  On the spot, Milly agrees to marry Adam and within the span of mere hours, the two are betrothed heading back to the Pontipee residence.  Unfortunately for Milly, Adam conveniently left out the part that he has six brothers whom she'll have to care for as well.  Slightly discouraged, Milly resolves to make the most out of her situation and try to turn the Pontipee brothers into nice gentlemen rather than ragged ragamuffins.  Once she finishes her school of etiquette, the brothers set out to get themselves wives of their own.

Ultimately, I'd be willing to forgive the cheesiness of the storyline if the songs had anything going for them, but unfortunately they don't.  While there are some rousing dance routines, they simply aren't enough to recommend this one which proves to be much more dated than musicals from its time frame.

The RyMickey Rating:  C-

4 comments:

  1. Granted, I have not seen this film in 10 or so years, but I loved it. Enough dancing and colorful costumes for 17-year old me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I liked it too...never need to see it again, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd disagree that the film has no lasting appeal, else what is it doing still being sold and enjoyed all this time later?

    It was certainly one of my favourites in its time, and I have it in my field library. The logging dance scene is beyond par in all ways. It has a freshness and vitality that still stands up today.

    The scenes of most of the films of that era are bound to be dated, but they should be viewed in relation to their time. Today's actors and filming technigues are vastly superior. Those times were much more innocent.

    Musicals put Hollywood right on the map for style.

    By the way I was a teenager in England during the 50s, and films and ballroom dancing provided most of the entertainment.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet -

    First, thanks for reading.

    Second, I'm an unabashed fan of musicals, although I will admit that some from the past that are loved by many -- Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris, as examples -- don't work for me (and I know it's almost sacrilege to say that about Rain).

    Nonetheless, I remember watching this as a kid or a teenager and enjoying it immensely. That logging dance scene -- spectacular. Still is a great scene today.

    I think the biggest issue for me is that none of the songs have any lasting appeal and that, to me, is a sin when it comes to musicals. I mean, I may have been singing "Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" throughout the whole movie, but it was simply out of how ridiculous the song felt to me as opposed to actually being something worthwhile to sing.

    Anyway, it's one that just didn't work for me two decades after watching it the first time.

    Side note: I love that your comment includes the spelling "favourite" -- reminds me of my London trip a year ago...and makes me want to go back...

    ReplyDelete