Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Movie Review - End of Watch

End of Watch (2012)
Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Peña, Anna Kendrick, and Natalie Martinez
Directed by David Ayer

End of Watch is a perfectly acceptable realistic "buddy cop" movie about Brian and Mike (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña) who work the crime-riddled streets of South Central LA.  As they go through their admittedly difficult and stressful days, they find time to joke around with one another and talk about their significant others -- Brian's got a serious girlfriend in Janet (Anna Kendrick) and Mike is married to Gabby (Natalie Martinez) and they have kids together with another on the way.  When the duo stumble across a human trafficking ring while out doing a routine check on an elderly woman, the Mexican gangs behind the ring are angered and vow to make Brian and Mike pay handily for simply doing their job.

Admittedly, the film is a bit gimmicky.  Brian is taking a college course on filmmaking and he decides to purchase some small cameras that he places in the cop car and on both his and Mike's uniforms in order to film a "day in the life" type documentary about South Central cops.  I actually would've been completely onboard with the concept had director and screenwriter David Ayer had the cojones to stick with it throughout the entirety of the film in a Blair Witch-ian way.  However, the film sometimes cuts to the Mexican gangs and then as it progresses and the action begins to kick up, it abandons the concept altogether at times.  This wasn't necessarily a detriment, but the lack of consistency was noticeable and a bit of a disappointment in terms of the concept.

This film garnered some surprisingly good reviews upon its release last fall and there was even a bit of Oscar buzz surrounding Michael Peña for his role, but for this reviewer, End of Watch didn't stand out in any significant way.  Everything about it was fine and, in fact, better than average, but I was never blown away by anything I was seeing in the acting, directing, or writing department.  This is likely one of the reasons it's taken me over a month to get this review up on the blog.  Despite the lack of anything negative to say about it, there was not a single thing about it that blew me over.  It's solid and you certainly shouldn't be disappointed should you decide to check it out, but I can't help but think End of Watch had a bit more potential than the director brought to it.

The RyMickey Rating:  B-

3 comments:

  1. I loved this movie, you drunk.
    I just saw the self shot footage as a supplemental for the overall story. The story wasn't amazing but the central performances felt so natural.
    Anyway, You've finally watched two movies I want to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come you don't wanna talk about Pocahontas?

    I didn't mind the self-shot stuff as all, I guess I just went in with the expectations that it was all gonna be self shot. Then when it wasn't (I think the first moment was in some scene with Anna Kendrick and Jake Gyllenhaal in bed together) and it threw me off. I mean, I didn't hate it...and had I reviewed it earlier and not "sat on it" and waited, I probably would've given it a 'B'. But as it lingered in my mind, I realized it really didn't linger at all. Nothing wowed me, but nothing disappointed me either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't wanna talk about Pocahontas because I don't remember a thing about it.

    Also, now that you mention Anna Kendrick, her and him were the second best part of the movie for me.

    ReplyDelete