Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Theater Review - The Homecoming

The Homecoming
Written by Harold Pinter
Directed by Leslie Reidel 
When: Wednesday, September 29, 7:30pm
Where: Hartshorn Theater
(University of Delaware, Newark, DE)
What: Play, Professional/Conservatory

The University of Delaware's Professional Theater Training Program/Resident Ensemble Players opens up their 2010-11 theater season with Harold Pinter's 1964 play The Homecoming.  Rather than start out with a bang, the college opens with an unfortunate whimper.   Admittedly, I'm a day removed from the play and I'm still thinking about what exactly I saw yesterday evening, but I still wonder if this isn't one of those "artsy" things that's loved simply because people don't understand it, don't want to look stupid, and say they adore it to appear high-brow.


The year is 1965 and we're taken into the living room of a house in North London.  Living in the home is the patriarch, Max, a curmudgeonly old man.  Alongside Max is his brother, Sam, and his two sons, Lenny and Joey.  Max doesn't make it easy to live with him, always harping on the past (both fondly and not-so-fondly), recalling life when his wife was still around to help him raise his boys.


One evening, Max's other son, Teddy, returns home in the middle of the night with his wife of nine years, Ruth.  Rather than be pleased at the return of his son (whom he hasn't seen or heard from in nearly a decade), Max is extremely irritated that Teddy would allow a "bitch" in the house since no woman has stepped in his domain since the death of his wife.  Little does Max know that when he bandies about the words "whore" and "slut" when referring to Ruth that those may be apt descriptors.  Ruth, a mother of three sons, turns out to be quite sexually charged and may be more than willing to do things that could cause a rift in her marriage.


The major problem with the play is the character of Ruth.  I believe that Pinter looks at Ruth as "WOMAN" -- as the only female amongst a group of men, she is a symbol of womankind.  If that's the case, what is "woman?"  Is she the head of the household?  When Max's wife died, it seems that even if he didn't respect her, he missed the fact that she kept the house together.  Is "woman" simply a sex object?  Yes, one could say Ruth takes control of her sexuality by the play's end and is able to control men like puppets.  But one could also say that Ruth is simply debasing herself to the lowest possible level to which a woman could stoop.  Ultimately, the play is open-ended, but I would have liked a little more conclusive evidence as to what Pinter was attempting to say.


Then again, Pinter has a difficult time trying to get anything across it seems.  While watching, I couldn't help but be distracted by the incredibly odd pause-filled dialog and the rather off-putting abrupt changes in conversation.  At first, I was blaming the actors and the director for creating this type of atmosphere.  Little did I know that this is what Pinter is relatively famous for.  On another website, I came across the idea that Pinter uses these pauses to describe the "noncommunication" between the characters.  "Noncommunication" is certainly correct -- there's a lack of information presented in the words which causes the audience to attempt to fill in the gaps, but there's just too much left unsaid.  To me, the cadence of the words (and sometimes the words themselves) just don't work in the slightest.


As far as the production goes, The Homecoming is by far the least interesting I've seen by the college group.  The set is incredibly minimal and there's nothing overly special done with the lighting, sound design, costumes, or even the acting.  I understand that in every subscription series, there's going to be those one or two plays that are minimalist in order to help a troupe save the dough for another show.  I just found it quite odd that the REP/PTTP decided to open their season with this play.  Had this been my first experience with the group, I must say that I would not have been impressed (moreso with the choice of the play than anything else).  Still, this is the first production by the group that I haven't liked in one way or another.  I certainly have faith that the remainder of the season will be filled with better plays.

5 comments:

  1. It seems like your issue is with Pinter... not the play. Like Beckett... Pinter is an acquired taste and very few people like Pinter the first time they see his work. While Beckett's appeal still has me baffled... I have grown to love Pinter over time and this production was a glowing example of Pinter's play.

    Also... referring to the REP as a 'college group' is a touch misleading. This is a group made up of 10 experienced, professional, AEA actors and 10 graduate students all of whom have already been working out around the country professionally to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "college group" was not meant to be the least bit derrogatory. The productions take place at a college is really all I meant that to entail. While last year's productions somewhat "separated out" the REP and PTTP actors, this year's mix of the two made me unsure of how to "label" the productions. I don't look at anything that's put on here as anything less than a top-notch professional production (but it is taking place at a college and using grad students...hence the use of the word).

    While I may not love the play (or, perhaps as you say, I don't love Pinter...but I find it a little too soon to say that considering that this is my first experience with him), I don't look at anything that's put on by this wonderful company of actors as a let-down.

    I'm perfectly aware that I'm not the least bit familiar with Pinter. That's part of the reason why I enjoy what the REP is doing at Delaware. It's opening my mind to plays and playwrights that I would never get to experience. I may not like them all, but it's great to have this caliber of production going on right in our small state.

    I don't know if you happened to read some of my "reviews" (and I use that term very loosely because this site is mainly just an "entertainment diary" of sorts for me to look back on in years to come), but I think that this group has put on some of the best work I've ever seen. Death of a Salesman last year was just gut-wrenching. She Stoops to Conquer was hilarious. Certainly better than stuff I've seen up in NYC.

    If you're involved in the program in any way, shape, or form, Anonymous, I say keep up the good work! Certainly not everyone is going to like everything. And while this may not have floated my boat, I'm eagerly anticipating The Importance of Being Earnest in a few short weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, thanks for stopping by this little corner of the web and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Importance of Being Earnest?!!!?
    I HAVE to see that.
    Have you already gotten tickets?
    Do you think the reason why I can't select the 8th is that they are already sold out?
    I will be home Oct 8-13. But the 9th I have stuff alllll day (weddings, showers, etc.).
    I have to go on the 8th.
    Come on, Jeff - make this happen for me - please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think it's sold out on the 8th, as I clicked on another date and I could purchase tickets.

    Yeah, I've already got tickets for everything this year actually.

    I'm gonna shoot you an e-mail or give you a call about your return home. If you've got an afternoon or evening free, I think Philly is calling for a movie or two. Or if you can spare a day and see anything you like at a discount in NYC, I'd be up for that, too. We'll talk...I was gonna call you on Monday anyway, actually.

    ReplyDelete