Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, September 17, 2010

Movie Review - Devil

Devil (2010)
Starring Chris Messina and Five People Trapped in an Elevator
Directed by John Erick Dowdle

I'm not someone that finds M. Night Shyamalan laughable.  Reports spread that the trailer for Devil was receiving more than its share of chuckles when "From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan" popped up on the screen.  Yes, he's had his share of failures, but The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are a mighty successful one-two-three punch.  So, I actually kind of wanted to see Devil simply because of Shyamalan's name.  Maybe what the famous director needs is to do exactly what he does in this film -- simply think up a story and have someone else flesh it out and direct it.

Unfortunately, Devil falls a flat, but not because of the premise, so in that regard, Mr. Shyamalan has redeemed himself.  It's the screenplay, actors, and direction that cause this piece to disappoint.

This is a story that would have been incredibly successful as a Twilight Zone episode -- five people are trapped on an elevator.  One by one, the passengers are killed.  Who is the murderer?  Is it possible that some supernatural forces are involved?  Yes, it all sounds a bit insubstantial, but as a 30-minute tv show, I have no doubt it would have worked.  Stretching it out to a still fairly short 80 minutes, some silly backstories are thrown into the mix (including one very reminiscent of what Mel Gibson's character was going through in Signs) and none of them really stick.

Director John Erick Dowdle isnt' able to really build any suspense.  Granted, I will say that there is a good sense of claustrophobia as Dowdle is quite successful at bringing the audience right into the elevator with the five passengers.  However, there was never a moment where I felt tense or worried for any of these characters...and in a thriller that's a bit of a problem.

Dowdle also wasn't able to draw good performances from his actors.  I've seen Chris Messina in quite a bit over the past year (he took spot #4 in my Best Supporting Actor list and spot #5 on my Breakthrough  list in the 2009 RyMickey Awards), but he was just passable here as a cop trying to figure out what the hell is going on in the elevator.  It's more the fault of the silly lines he's forced to spout than anything else.  While Messina may be adequate, some of the passengers on the elevator didn't fare so well.  I understand the desire to not use any "stars" here, but you need believable actors that can spike up the tension in a film like this and none of the people stuck in the elevator were successful in that regard.

The RyMickey Rating:  C-

7 comments:

  1. Yesterday I watched 11:14. Have you seen this/posted about this movie? I'm trying to figure out how I got it on my netflix queue in the first place.

    Also, Chris Messina is pretty good in Ira & Abby. The movie itself is not great, but he is the chief thing I took away from it (prior to Away We Go and all that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also! I saw this GREAT Buster Keaton movie yesterday - the Cameraman.
    There was a "Motion Picture Orchestra" there that played the score. Ithaca has classy stuff.
    http://cinema.cornell.edu/series_EarlyFall10/live_music_and_film.html

    It made me think of City Lights. Silent films are much better with an audience than TCM by yourself. Especially comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of 11:14, so you didn't hear about it from me.

    Messina was great in Away We Go. Made much out of very little.

    And I think I've seen Sunrise (which they also showed the other day, I surmise). I think I liked it, but some of those silent films melt together if they don't star a "star" like Chaplin or Keaton.

    I really should watch more Keaton. I remember thinking he was great when I watched two films in college with him, but I never watched anything else. Like you said, though, it's not as much fun watching a silent film on TCM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Messina is damn good in the final season of Six Feet Under.
    *THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR DEVIL*

    The problem I had coming away from this movie is this: The fun of the movie is trying to figure out who the murderer is and the fact that they pulled a 'twist' and brought someone back from the dead is like one of those riddles where you think you have it figured out but the riddler is like 'lol no, turns out he had a gun that was filled with balloons so he died from asphyxiation'. It's just not satisfying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, 11:14 is one of those movies that Netflix LOVES recommending it seems. I had it on my queue at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moderate Spoilers ahead here, too:

    I would almost be alright with the twist at the end (that really wasn't the least bit shocking to me, although, to be honest, I didn't have it "pegged" even though I probably should have), but the film just can't create any type of suspense.

    Jumping from the elevator to outside of the elevator is the key problem with this lack of tension, I think. Had they stayed with the people in the elevator (maybe only having quick breakaways to Messina), it may have been more effective (and given it a much greater sense of claustrophobia and urgency). Going out to the elevator repair man and both security guards took away from the crux of the film. Yes, I realize removing those characters may have brought the film's running time down to 70 minutes (or less), but it would have been more effective, I think. As it stands now, it's a thriller without any thrills...and that's kind of unforgivable.

    It's just one of those movies where you just shrug your shoulders, let out a "meh," and say to people, "Yeah, it's okay, but not worth your time."

    ReplyDelete
  7. It did have the best line in a movie for a long time: "Go suck a butt"

    ReplyDelete