Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Movie Review - King Georges

King Georges (2016)
Directed by Erika Frankel

As I've grown up, I've admittedly become quite the foodie, fascinated with the Food Network (when it aired how-to shows, that is), Top Chef, and The Great British Baking Show to name a few entertainment-driven culinary television shows.  I've also visited some restaurants owned by famous chefs including Top Chef winner Nicholas Elmi whose Philadelphia-based Laurel provided a delicious meal a few months ago.  I mention Elmi because he is highlighted in the engaging documentary King Georges which showcases the world-renowned Philadelphia restaurant Le Bec Fin which closed its doors a few years ago.  Owned by French chef Georges Perrier, Le Bec Fin was known has one of the best restaurants in the world -- not just the United States -- in its heyday of the 1970s-80s.  However, changing taste buds challenged Perrier to keep up with the burgeoning foodie revolution and even his hiring of the talented younger chef Elmi couldn't help Perrier from having to close the doors of the beloved restaurant in the early 2010s.

Director Erika Frankel follows Perrier and Elmi across several years, capturing them during successful times, then as they prepare to close the doors on the ritzy French restaurant.  Being from the Philly area and being quite familiar with Elmi, I'll admit to prejudicial bias in enjoying the subject of this documentary.  Your mileage may vary, but regardless the piece is well-made look into how a restaurant actually runs behind the scenes.  The chaos that occurs each night in the kitchen of a fancy restaurant such as this is something I'd never want to be a part of and this film made me appreciate even more the chefs, sous chefs, line cooks, and waitstaff that help restaurants such as Le Bec Fin run.

I also must admit that back in my high school days, I actually ate at Le Bec Fin.  Watching this film, I desperately wish I fully understood what I was experiencing.  I undoubtedly failed to appreciate the intricacies and talent that Georges Perrier brought to the Philadelphia (and culinary) landscape.  I was probably panicking at the mushroom that was on my plate or turning my nose up at being served quail or duck instead of embracing the skill and artistry that was likely on display in front of me.  While I have been fortunate enough to visit Nicholas Elmi's restaurant and been able to appreciate the culinary craftsmanship he learned from his mentor Georges Perrier, I really do regret not knowing what I was getting myself into twenty years ago.  King Georges helped me to appreciate things a bit more and for that I'm grateful.

The RyMickey Rating:  A-

No comments:

Post a Comment