Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

What I'm Listening To - "Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney, Part II


On Tuesday, July 12, I headed to Citizens Bank Park to check out my second concert headlined Paul McCartney -- this time his One on One tour.  My first experience with Sir Paul was back in 2009 and it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.  Could lightning strike twice?

Not quite.  From my seat in the stadium, it took awhile to get acclimated to the sound system with McCartney's voice being nearly drowned out for the first five or six songs.  When things finally began to click sound-wise, Paul's setlist (found here) left a little to be desired.  Starting off with some of his newer pieces and a few lesser known songs, the rhythm of the concert lacked a driving momentum at first really failing at times to get the crowd excited and in the mood for the show.

However, as Paul progressed through the set, things really started to come alive with the entire second half of the show composed of hit after hit after hit.  As "Live and Let Die" played towards the very end, how could I not get excited with the song's pulsing drive and the pyrotechnic show that accompanied it?  Seeing McCartney and his band perform that single song is almost worth the price of admission alone.

Paul is still amazingly capable of putting on a lengthy show even at 74 years old with nary a break for water or a pause in the proceedings.  Of course, I'd recommend seeing him, but I just wish I may have left my McCartney concert viewings after one go.  While I'd not be opposed to seeing him again, I'd take a look at the setlist before I'd shell out the money.  Still, Paul is absolutely a star and deservedly so.


No comments:

Post a Comment