Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Movie Review - Le Week-End

Le Week-End (2014)
Starring Jim Broadbent, Lindsay Duncan, and Jeff Goldblum
Directed by Roger Michell
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

I'm not quite sure why I stuck this one out to the end.  Admittedly and to my chagrin, what I thought was going to be a light romantic comedy about a longtime married couple (Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan) turned out to be a rather glum look at a longtime married couple incessantly bickering with one another causing me to wonder how they'd stayed together for three decades and why in the world I was supposed to want to watch their marital spats play out onscreen.

Overly talky, every time I thought Nick and Meg were finally headed towards a reconciliation, someone would say something stupid and tick the other one off.  Perhaps this is the way things begin to look after you've been with someone for such a long time, but I found the whole thing incredibly uncomfortable and unenjoyable to watch.  I still think this is supposed to be a comedy, but I certainly never found myself laughing once.  Despite decent performances from Broadbent and Duncan who really do try and sell the material, Le Week-End is more triste than drôle.

The RyMickey Rating:  D

No comments:

Post a Comment