Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Oscar Predictions

Last year, I was 19 for 24.  I can't tell if this year is tougher or not or I'm just hoping for a few surprises...

UPDATE:  Once again, 19 for 24.  I thought for sure Captain Phillips would take editing considering the various guilds voted that direction, but the Academy pretty much voted for Gravity for everything except the one where it really counted -- Best Picture.  

12 Years a Slave is a very good film.  Granted, it's my fourth favorite of the nominees for Best Picture, but it's a very respectable piece of filmmaking that I think upon second viewing will grow in my mind.  

I'd have loved to have seen Leonardo DiCaprio win and, of course, I'd love for Gravity (a marvelous piece of filmmaking) to have taken the big prize, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.  

The one thing I'll take away from tonight -- I couldn't be happier that American Hustle walked away empty-handed.  Thrilled that the overrated David O. Russell film was seen for the overrated flick that it truly was.

Now you can all focus on the awards that really count -- The RyMickey Awards coming in June!

Best Picture -- CORRECT
Will Win:  12 Years a Slave
Should Win:  Gravity

Best Director -- CORRECT
Will Win: Alfonso Cuarón
Should Win: Alfonso Cuarón

Best Actor -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Matthew McConaughey
Should Win: Leonardo Dicaprio

Best Actress -- CORRECT
Will Win: Cate Blanchett
Should Win: Cate Blanchett

Best Supporting Actor -- CORRECT
Will Win: Jared Leto
Should Win:  Michael Fassbender (although I really have no dog in this weak category)

Best Supporting Actress -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Lupita Nyong'o
Should Win:  Lupita Nyong'o

Best Adapted Screenplay -- CORRECT
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: 12 Years a Slave

Best Original Screenplay -- WRONG (Winner:  HER)
Will Win: American Hustle
Should Win: Nebraska

Best Cinematography -- CORRECT
Will Win: Gravity
Should Win: Nebraska

Best Costume Design -- WRONG (Winner:  The Great Gatsby)
Will Win:  American Hustle
Should Win: The Great Gatsby

Best Film Editing -- WRONG (Winner:  Gravity)
Will Win: Captain Phillips
Should Win: Gravity

Best Make-up and Hairstyling -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Dallas Buyers Club
Should Win:  American Hustle (wait...it's not nominated?)

Best Original Score -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Gravity

Best Original Song -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Let It Go
Should Win:  Blah...

Best Production Design -- CORRECT
Will Win:  The Great Gatsby
Should Win:  (tie) Her and The Great Gatsby

Best Sound Editing - Gravity -- CORRECT
Best Sound Mixing - Gravity -- CORRECT
Best Visual Effects - Gravity -- CORRECT

Best Animated Feature -- CORRECT
Will Win:  Frozen
Should Win: Monsters University (which isn't even nominated)

Best Documentary Feature - 20 Feet from Stardom -- CORRECT
Best Foreign Language Film - The Great Beauty -- CORRECT
Best Animated Short - Get a Horse -- WRONG (Monsieur Hublot)
Best Live Action Short - Avant Que de Tout Perdre -- WRONG (Helium)
Best Documentary Short - The Lady in Number 6 -- CORRECT

2 comments:

  1. Gravity will not win Best Picture and it will most certainly win editing.

    Her should and probably will win best Original screenplay. Best original screenplay is the only place where the Academy gives "quirky" a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been home all day and this was "scheduled" to be published so I did this Saturday afternoon, but I actually made a last minute change to Best Picture to be 12 Years a Slave on my work Oscar pool ballot (which I've since changed on here). I would love to be wrong...

    ReplyDelete