Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Movie Review - The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Featuring the voice talent of Chris Sarandon, Danny Elfman, and Catherine O'Hara
Directed by Henry Selick

I'm not gonna rehash some review here, nor am I going to say much except to say that I absolutely loved this movie when it came out in theaters.  I still have vivid memories of my aunt taking me to see it and simply being enthralled at age thirteen by the music, the visuals, and the story of Jack Skellington and his Halloweentown friends attempting to take over Christmas without much success.

Nowadays, this film just doesn't work for me at all and despite attempts nearly every other year to try and make it end up back on my Favorites List, it's a movie that simply has fallen out of favor.  What bothers me the most is I can't quite pinpoint why that's the case.  I still greatly admire the stop motion animation and very much appreciate the old school look it creates.  I still enjoy the songs which certainly help to move the story along and reveal many of the characters' innermost thoughts.  Despite that, I find the whole thing a drag to sit through now.  

When I watched the 3D re-release in theaters a few years back, I felt the same way -- the film lacks drive for me now and I find it much too one-note in terms of momentum with lull after lull and no highs in between.  The dreariness of the whole affair takes its toll rather early and it makes everything very heavy.  As corny as it sounds, the movie simply lacks joy and while that's certainly fine in some movies, I can't help but think that Nightmare's ultimate goal despite its oddness is to be a joyful flick.

As I said, I can't quite determine my qualms with the film as a whole, but what I had hoped was a fluke dislike in theaters two years ago has now turned into something that I genuinely can't deny -- I simply don't care for this movie anymore...and it kind of makes me sad that I feel that way.

The RyMickey Rating:  C-

No comments:

Post a Comment