Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Movie Review - I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four (2011)
Starring Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Dianna Agron, and Teresa Palmer
Directed by D.J. Caruso

Unlike the Stars both Trek and War, the aliens in I Am Number Four are more reminiscent of supermodels than freakish-looking creatures.  Of course, this allows for a much easier ability to fall in love with Earthlings than if one were a long-eared Spock lookalike.  And, in this movie, it's the frivolous love story that takes center stage.

Without getting into the silly names of both alien races involved in I Am Number Four (which make the made-up words in Harry Potter flicks seem normal), the basic story boils down to this -- an alien race was all but obliterated by another.  Nine kids from the massacred race landed on Earth and the "evil" aliens are after them.  So far, they've killed three of the nine and now they're after Number Four, a blond-haired kid who goes by the clever alias of John Smith (Alex Pettyfer).  With the help of his protector (Timothy Olyphant) and alien teen Number Six (Teresa Palmer), John fights the scary aliens all the while going through the typical trails and tribulations of a typical high schooler, including falling in love with the cute girl (Dianna Agron).

As is obvious by the summary above, there's nothing remotely fresh in I Am Number Four.  There's much too much focus on the high school melodrama and unfortunately the alien action stuff doesn't work in the slightest either.  In the end, there's simply nothing in this film that works.

The RyMickey Rating:  D

1 comment:

  1. The idea of a race of people committing to one mate simply because they are designed that way was a refreshing concept since fidelity is so uncommon these days in reality. When I think about how people are so hurt by the philandering of a spouse it makes me sad. I rarely have a chance to watch TV at home any more as work is becoming more demanding, summer activities to take the kids to and dates with my wife. That’s why I love my DISH Network employee Sling adapter so much that I found out about on besttvforme.com because I get my favorite shows in like AGT when I have spare time but away from home. Now that they are showing the big acts I can’t help but watch the first change I get.

    ReplyDelete