Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, August 06, 2010

Movie Review - Inception

Inception (2010)
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, and Marion Cotillard
Directed by Christopher Nolan

There are major spoilers ahead here...This isn't so much a review as a discussion of my thoughts a day after watching the film...If you haven't seen the film yet and don't want some key plot points to be ruined, don't read any further.

In the end, some magnificent "parts" of Christopher Nolan's newest film, Inception, don't quite add up to a fantastic "whole."  Now, fair warning -- I'm going to be overly critical here.  A creative film like this wants me to question it...so I'm going to do so.  But, as you'll notice by my rating at the end, I enjoyed myself thoroughly while watching it.  I simply wish it was something I could have loved.

This movie is about Leonardo Dicaprio's character Cobb.  It's about his need to be forgiven for what he considers to be the "crime" of causing his wife's (Marion Cotillard) death.  Being absolved of this sin will allow him to not only return to his children, but also to return to a more peaceful existence with himself.  If this is the main point (which, to me, there can be no argument that it isn't), why does it fall to the wayside for so much of this film's 150 minutes?

The final hour-long act of the film -- the dream within a dream within a dream within a dream where the key players are attempting to complete the inception in Fischer's (Cillian Murphy) mind -- hardly focuses on Cobb's emotional part of the story at all.  Not until we reach the "limbo" stage does Cobb really come into play.  Granted, this whole segment of the film was really amazing -- I truly enjoyed all of the levels within the dreams and that hotel scene is just a gigantic WOW -- but it's really just a huge McGuffin (sort of).  I can't help but think something could have been trimmed here or there (or something even added, if necessary) to bring the focus back to Cobb.  Yes, there were the occasional images of his children, but a larger emphasis on Cobb would have been much more powerful in terms of character development.

Speaking of character development, where was it?  Beyond Cobb, there's nothing.  I guess that could be because "this is all a dream" (an idea which I'll touch upon in a bit) and in dreams, character development is nonexistent, but that seems like a cop-out.  So, if the film's not a dream, that makes it real -- well, "real" in terms of the fact that we're watching a film.  And if this is a film, I'd like to know something about these people I'm watching.  Unfortunately, I know nothing beyond the fact that the girl from Juno is the Architect, the guy from (500) Days of Summer is Cobb's right-hand man, and the guy from Bronson (yes, I know you've never heard of it, but you should watch it anyway) is like some fancy X-Man that can change his form.  Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Tom Hardy are all very good, but they're not really given anything to do beyond what their job requires.  It's like a much more intelligent Oceans 11 film in that sense.

So is the whole thing a dream?  Is the reason that I don't know anything beyond the outer surface of these characters because I'm watching Cobb's dream?  I can't buy that (even if in the director commentary Christopher Nolan tells me that is the case).  For starters, if this is all a dream, how the heck is the story so linear?  Yes, I may have some dreams that follow a general storyline, but for the most part, the restraints are gone when one dreams and logic bears no importance.  Yes, I may be dreaming about work and it may seem perfectly straightforward, but I could change my thoughts within seconds and be some place completely different.  That never really happens here.  Yes, I'm sure there are things that point to this being a dream, but if that's the case, I'd be utterly disappointed simply because things are much to logical here for that to be the case.

Plus, it seems obvious to me that at the end of the film Cobb's spinning top is beginning to wobble.  When a top begins to slow down, the change in aural tone that it begins to make is blatant -- and it does that during the final scene (plus, it starts to wobble).  Yes, one could certainly make the statement that the top was never Cobb's token, but instead was Mal's, so it was never his "way back"to reality.  While that's certainly true, I always felt that the top was his connection to her and since she was so connected to the top, he, in turn, can be taken out of the dreamscape by the top as well.

Okay...enough rambling.  Let's get to a tiny bit of general thoughts here.  Inception was a treat to watch, without a doubt.  The more I sit and think about it, the more I appreciate it.  It's not a perfect film, but it's a more than admirable effort (I still say that its biggest fault is that first point I make above in that the emotional connection for Cobb's character is pushed to the sidelines for too long in the final act).  Nolan (a director and writer who I appreciate, but don't find myself fawning over) once again proves that he's a smart guy with an eye for some special set pieces.  The rotating hotel scene which was shown in the previews really blew me away.  Even though I knew it was coming, I was amazed while watching it.

Additionally, kudos to Nolan for making what could have been a convoluted mess of a film perfectly coherent.  Before going into this, I heard so much about how you "really have to pay attention," but I found the film to be easily comprehensible.  Little asides that in some movies may have made the viewer feel stupid (or made the viewer feel that the filmmaker thought they were stupid) proved to be quite natural and justified in their existence.  (This was actually a very impressive aspect of the film...and the whole point of Ellen Page's character.  Her Architect was "us," the audience, and since she was an intelligent character, whenever she asked for an explanation or elucidated on a certain topic, it was never done in a manner that talked down to the viewer.)

Still, the problem with the lack of character development is that Nolan doesn't allow any of his actors to shine.  None of the actors are problematic or detrimental to the film in any way, but they're not allowed to really add anything to the final product either.  Leo and Ellen and Marion and Joseph and Tom are all fine, but never given much to work with.

Yes, yes, this "review" was perhaps overly negative, but I enjoyed Inception and the more I think about it and the more I discuss it with others, the more I appreciate the film.  Do I wish it was a little better?  Absolutely.  A little trimming of the Fischer dream storyline could've done wonders to the film as a whole.  A bit more character development for anyone beyond Cobb would've been wonderful.

Still, Inception is no nightmare...it's just not the fantastical dream of a film that others say it is.

The RyMickey Rating:  B+

8 comments:

  1. Two things.

    1. http://www.guerilladrivein.com/macguffin

    1. Why were his kids, in the final scene, wearing the same outfits they were wearing in his memory of them? Wouldn't they have outgrown those clothes in a year's time?
    If it is reality, could he be projecting those outfits onto them and then I guess we are seeing reality through the subjectivity of Cobb's mind... If that's the case - could the whole movie's "real" parts be through the subjectivity of his mind? Could the characters not being developed be because he either already knows them when we join the story or could care less about them? -

    Going on that - I think the characters not being developed could somewhat be explained by his singular mind/goal. His desire to interact with others/focus on anything additional seems lacking when compared to his ultimate goal of fixing the woman/children/exile/crap in his life.

    Maybe not - I watched this two weeks ago. And haven't thought much (coherently) about it since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Anonymous:

    On your first point: If someone wasn't heading up north in two weeks...

    On your second point: It didn't even dawn on me that the kids were wearing the same thing until I was talking about it with (maybe?) Eric yesterday. Your words aren't making sense to me at nearly 2am in the morning, so I'm going to come back to it later and see if I can formulate a better response.

    Either that or it further proves the point that we were discussing in the car the other day that
    I'm not nearly smart enough to be a professor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo. I don't believe that. More likely it only makes sense to me because I formulated the words/knew what I meant.

    Course offerings:

    Fall 2013
    ENGL380-010 Animation Houses, Then and Now
    Professor: Rymickey

    Spring 2014
    ENGL380-010 - Disney Does It Better
    Professor: Rymickey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was ready to argue all of your points. Then I realized that the article I linked to two blog posts ago argue all the points of whether it was a dream or not for me.

    And I'm lazy. So
    http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie was at least better than Toy Story 3. I don't even know how I got through that one. This one was at least entertaining up till the end at which point it felt a little lacking in story. Also this post is mostly to ask if you've seen this movie cause I loved it *The Man From Earth (2007)*. I couldn't find that on your review list and I have got to make sure you've seen it. It was pure genius. <3ubai. Better respond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The question is is this really a Hawaiian cousin of mine? Nonetheless, I have never heard of the film you mentioned at all.

    But, come one...Toy Story 3 when they're heading towards that incinerator? You didn't feel for those toys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I was falling asleep during that part. Im just not a toy story kinda guy. And yes, this really is that sexy piece of man meat hawaiian cousin of yours :Cool:

    ReplyDelete