Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Movie Review - C Me Dance (2009)

C Me Dance (2009)
Directed by Greg Robbins

I know this sounds weird, but it's as if God has chosen you.  And if that's the truth, this is gonna tick off the Devil.

Aaah...the joys of Christian filmmaking.  They preach to the choir utilizing the most unrealistic characters around spouting the worst dialog imaginable ("I just wanted to dance and hang out, Dad, and now...all this!").

 Listen, I go to church.  I consider myself a religious person, but I am absolutely not someone that espouses those beliefs to others.  I could never go out there and "convert" those to my beliefs, nor would I ever want to.  That's the complete opposite of a movie like C Me Dance, whose sole purpose is to spout the notion that if "You don't believe, your only purpose in life is to be saved."  On a personal level, I despise that notion.  Maybe it makes me a bad Catholic, but so be it.
On a cinematic level, everything about C Me Dance is heinous.  The acting is some of the worst I've seen in ages.  The dialog is, without a doubt, the worst of any film released in theaters in 2009.  The direction?  Please, I could do a better job than the auteur Greg Robbins.

Still, despite how awful it all is, the ridiculousness of the story made it insanely watchable.  Sheri is a high school ballet dancer who learns she has leukemia and is mere months away from dying.  Despite her initial anger, she soon realizes that, being the religious person that she is, she must determine what God has put her on Earth to do.  Come to find out, Sheri soon discovers that if she simply touches a non-believer, they'll get a vision of Jesus getting nailed to a cross and they'll immediately BELIEVE.  Simply priceless!  And she's not just going to stop at converting her friends.  She's going to go to tv execs and touch them, too, forcing them to give her tv time to spread her word about "being born again and filled with the spirit of God."  All that and I haven't even begun to discuss the fact that the Devil comes and tries to sabotage her whole plan!  But no worries, the Devil is "such a loser" that he can't stop her.

The question with these Christian themed movies is who are they preaching to?  This movie won't convert anyone.  Those that aren't "saved" won't watch this movie and do anything but laugh.  So, what's the point?  I'm all for Christian-themed tales, but being so overbearing and preachy hurts your cause in the end.

This movie is awful --there's not a good thing about it -- and the rating below is certainly warranted.  That being said, I enjoyed myself while watching it, and say that if you're in the mood for a good laugh, you should stream it on Netflix.

The RyMickey Rating: F

3 comments:

  1. Oh man oh man.
    I'd go on a rant here, but I'd prefer it to be in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we're probably on the same page here despite the rating. It was an AWFUL film, production-wise. There's not a single redeeming thing about it.

    Laughing AT a film is much different than laughing WITH a film (especially when the film is not supposed to be laughed at at all).

    Nevertheless, it was a hoot, and I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my time...but it's a godawful film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and if you didn't realize it, the reason I wanted you to forget the trailer is because they reveal the Lukemia in it. And it's hilarious if you forget about it.

    ReplyDelete