Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The RyMickey Awards - Best Documentary

Any other year and I would say that I have no right to have an opinion on documentaries. However, I saw a whopping eighteen documentaries last year which is probably more than I've seen in my entire life. Five of them I'd consider good and they're listed below (links will take you to my original reviews).

Best Documentary 2009

#5 - Outrage
Although it tries to be even-handed, the skew in this doc is obviously towards the liberal side (contrary to the far superior conservative mindset). But I will say that the topic it raises -- whether sexually closeted government officials should be "outed" if they vote against gay policies -- was certainly intriguing.

#4 - It Might Get Loud
I would've never guessed I would've enjoyed this look at groundbreaking guitarists Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin), The Edge (u2), and Jack White (The White Stripes), but looking at their love for their six-stringed instruments was kind of inspiring in a way.

#3 - Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!
With the exception of Crank: High Voltage, this may have been the most fun film I saw in 2009. Even if you don't know a thing about Australian cinema (I sure as hell didn't), this flick is a blast and I can't recommend it highly enough.

#2 - Every Little Step
Yes, this doc is essentially a reality show, but this look at the revival of Broadway's A Chorus Line was surprisingly insightful by providing a brief history of the musical itself and shockingly nail-biting by keeping me on the edge of my seat wondering which young aspiring actors and actresses were going to get the parts.

#1 - The Cove
I hate to just go with the flow since this won the Academy Award, but The Cove is gripping cinema. Told like a scene right out of a flick like Ocean's 11, this movie is a real-life caper. Plus, it's telling what it believes to be a really important tale, and while it didn't cause me to pick up a phone to save the dolphins (I know, I'm a callous individual), I can totally see how it would inspire people to do such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment