Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, March 04, 2010

The 2009 RyMickey Awards - Best Scene

Nearly 200 movies...these were the 12 scenes that really stood out to me last year.

Warning: There be spoilers ahead...

#12 - Jerichow
Final scene
What happens mere moments after the screenshot above still gets me to this day. A fantastic story with a gripping ending.

#11 - Bright Star
Notification of Death

This is a true story, so spoilers be damned. At the film's end, Abbie Cornish breaks down and becomes an emotional wreck. Devastating.

#10 - Brothers
Outdoor Breakdown

Tobey Maguire goes over the top at times, but his final outdoor outburst had me on the edge of my seat.

#9 - The Messenger
Breaking the News

Really, I could've chosen any one of the scenes in which Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson deliver the awful news of soldiers' deaths, but the one that stood out to me the most was of the duo breaking the news to the African American mother and fiancé. Two completely different reactions, both intensely real.

#8 - The Hurt Locker
Desert Sniper

To some, this is their least favorite scene in the movie. To me, I loved the slow pace that director Kathryn Bigelow puts in place here. This scene felt "real" -- I imagine our soldiers sitting around like this for hours waiting for "the perfect shot."

#7 - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Waterfall

I could've chosen any scene from this movie. This one felt the most "live action" to me. Wonderful dialogue, wonderful "cinematography." Fantastic, you could say.

#6 - A Serious Man
WTF Ending

Fortunately, the screenshot above doesn't ruin the odd ending. Let's just say that this is one of the few movies this year that left me wanting more, while at the same time having me curse at the screen for not giving me all the answers. "What the fuck" was seriously said by me at this film's conclusion.

#5 - Crank: High Voltage
Jacked-Up Puppets

Giant fighting puppet people. Freakin' insane. Freakin' trippy. Freakin' awesome.

#4 - Inglourious Basterds
Movie Theater Rampage

An homage to film (sort of) encapsulated in fifteen minutes. Along with crazy violence and lots of Nazi deaths.

#3 - Up
Married Life

Jaw-droppingly amazing.
If only the rest of the film had me this emotionally riveted.

#2 - (500) Days of Summer
Post-Coitus Hall & Oates

Such exuberance. Great song. Great fun. Absolute joy to watch. I didn't want this scene to end. Similar to #3, it's a shame the rest of the film couldn't live up to this.

#1 - Drag Me to Hell
Dragged to Hell
A literal representation of the title. Completely unexpected and neatly designed. Justin Long's reaction -- priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment