Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The 2009 RyMickey Awards - Posters

I posted my Top Ten Movie Posters a while ago, but here they are ranked. A rather disappointing poster year.

2009's Best Posters
#10 -- The Ugly Truth
When I first saw this poster, I think I hated it. However, I think it's quite clever despite the fact that it simply rehashes the old "men think with their..." joke.

#9 -- Where the Wild Things Are
It's a shame the movie itself couldn't live up to the great posters for this film.

#8 -- Inglourious Basterds
Out of all the posters on here, this is the one that I had trouble with placing on this list. The reason: I'm not sure whether I love this poster simply because of what the bat represents in the movie. Meaning, do I love the poster because I've seen the movie? Or did I not like it before I saw the film?

#7 -- The Brothers Bloom
A beautifully rendered drawing depicting all the leads plus a few oddities from the film.

#6 -- (500) Days of Summer
The boy's obsession is fully realized as 500 faces of Zooey D stare out at him.

#5 -- Bright Star
Just like the film, the poster exudes romance.

#4 -- A Serious Man
As you can see, simplicity in movie posters works for me. This will sound silly, but I love the font they chose for the text.

#3 -- The Hurt Locker
Stark, gritty, and shockingly effective. It's not often that posters with movie review quotes work, but this one does.

#2 -- Moon
Cool.

#1 -- Antichrist
The Australian poster for this flick is menacing and stunning in its simplicity. And, having seen the movie, amazingly descriptive without giving too much away.


10 comments:

  1. http://img.listal.com/image/733875/600full-inglourious-basterds-poster.jpg

    A better Inglourious Basterds poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...that one is better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats the worst of the where the wild things are posters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was between that one and the one with Max yelling next to Carol...but the desert one is the one that stands out to me. When I was thinking about this post, it was the desert one that stuck in my mind.

    I don't know why I like it, but I'm onboard with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the one you mentioned. I dig the terminator salvation poster with the terminators face from above the burning los angeles, watchmen, with the comedian falling out the window with the smiley button in mid air, the house of the devil, black dynamite and the informant! good ol' matt damon's goofy face

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Terminator Salvation poster almost made it.

    Watchmen didn't do a thing for me (but that whole genre doesn't really intrigue me at all).

    House of the Devil (which I hadn't seen until you mentioned it) and Black Dynamite both have that retro feel for sure...as does The Informant to a degree.

    In terms of the ones you mentioned, though, Terminator was super close to making the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not gonna lie for the biggest movie of the year and with all the hype there basically was one poster and it was rather meh. Just half a blue face but the fact thats pretty much all there was until the imax one was released with a week to go earns some respect. Most big giant blockbusters have 90 posters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole build-up to Avatar is amazing to me. The posters were lacking...the trailers (to me) weren't the least bit interesting.

    I'm quite surprised at its success and that fact that I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of Avatar and success, I didn't think it would win the Globe.

    Not as shocking as 1. Hangover winning best comedy and 2. Sandra Bullock beating Carey Mulligan and Sidibe though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hangover winning Best Comedy, while a surprise, wasn't totally unexpected (what was its competition? Nine? If the Globes had given it to Nine [which as we all know tanked at the box office and with the critics], they would've been seen as if they were in Harvey Weinstein's bankroll). Still, I didn't enjoy The Hangover and thought the category was pretty weak (still haven't seen It's Complicated).

    Bullock's on a roll. While I still think Streep has the Oscar in the bag, Bullock will give her (an undeserved) run for her money. It's not that Bullock was bad, but she's just coasting through the season on goodwill and a successful (financial) year.

    ReplyDelete