Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie Review - Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock (2011)
Starring Sam Riley, Andrea Riseborough, Helen Mirren, John Hurt, and Andy Serkis
Directed by Rowan Joffe

Brighton Rock is one of those movies that I maybe should have read a little about prior to popping in the dvd.  Had I known it was a mobster flick I would have been a little more prepared for a genre I generally find clichéd and oftentimes boring.  Unfortunately, not being prepped, I was treated to one of the most boring movie experiences I've had this year.  While the story itself may have had some promise -- a young woman named Rose (Andrea Riseborough) witnesses the beginning of a mob hit by young up-and-coming kingpin named Pinkie (Sam Riley) whom decides to woo the girl in order to keep her from spilling the beans to the cops -- this film noir was just utterly melodramatic tedium.

The biggest problem lies in Sam Riley, a skinny pole of a timid-looking young man whom I never once bought as a guy to whom anyone in the Brighton, United Kingdom, mob would give any credence.  Ultimately, that's the biggest issue in fully investing in a story like this and the film can't overcome it.  Riley lacks any charisma or drive and I failed to understand how Rose would fall in love with him or his underlings would pay any attention to his nefarious demands.

Similarly, the character of Rose was quite the disappointment.  She's a character with zero personality and while I think we're supposed to feel for her in her plight, I couldn't muster up any semblance of care for her.  I saw Andrea Riseborough live on stage a few years ago in NYC and I liked her quite a bit -- comparing her to a young Kate Winslet, in fact -- but none of that promise was on display here.

Despite a game effort from Helen Mirren to at least up the acting quotient to a decent degree, her role is too small to register any help for this altogether disappointing flick.

The RyMickey Rating:  D-

2 comments:

  1. The trailer was awful enough that I completely wrote it off. Such an awful trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I even saw the trailer. I only became interested in that I saw the chick in it live on stage so I sort of wanted to see her on screen. And it had Helen Mirren in it, so I figured it couldn't be all that bad.

    I think maybe had I known what I was getting into, I would've maybe liked it a little better...but only a little. It was set up like this Romeo and Juliet type romance, but I didn't give a damn about Romeo or Juliet so it kind of negates the whole premise...

    ReplyDelete