Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Movie Review - MacGruber

MacGruber (2010)
Starring Will Forte, Ryan Phillippe, Kristin Wiig, and Val Kilmer
Directed by Jorma Taccone

Three times I laughed.  Two times more than I thought I would.  However, at a rate of one laugh every 30 minutes, MacGruber just doesn't cut it.  Considering the fact that Saturday Night Live itself hasn't been funny in years, why would anyone expect a movie based off of an SNL skit to be funny?  Oh...because they can drop F-bombs and show me Will Forte's ass a couple times?  Yeah...not funny.

The only thing saving this from an all-out failure is that I actually didn't mind Val Kilmer as the "evil mastermind" Dieter von Cunth (which I guess is supposed to be a funny name...it isn't) and Ryan Phillippe as Lt. Dixon Piper who is supposed to be MacGruber's voice of reason.  The two of them surprisingly didn't ham things up as much as they could have and it was appreciated.

Go watch MacGuyver -- the source material for this awful flick -- instead.

The RyMickey Rating:  D-

No comments:

Post a Comment