Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Movie Review - A Town Called Panic

A Town Called Panic (2009)
Directed by Stéphane Aubier and Vincent Patar
***This film is currently streaming on Netflix***

Every now and then I'll put on Robot Chicken on the Cartoon Network.  The animated show which utilizes crass stop motion animation and action figures is only fifteen minutes long, but I rarely find myself watching all of it.  After about seven or eight minutes, I'm done.  I've laughed once or twice, but the humor isn't consistent enough.  That's the way I felt when watching the French animated flick A Town Called Panic.  

While it uses the same style of animation as Robot Chicken, fortunately Panic is much more colorfully vibrant.  And surprisingly, the story (which revolves around Cowboy and Indian accidentally buying a bunch of bricks and causing havoc in their small town) manages to sustain itself over the short 60-minute run time.

The problem is in the humor.  There were just too many times where the flick just veered to the absurd and neglected the laughs.  Obviously, the film thought that the "absurd" was "funny," but it often just created long lulls of boredom for me.

While I'm certainly being critical above, I didn't hate A Town Called Panic, but it's not something I ever feel the need to revisit in the slightest.

The RyMickey Rating:  C

No comments:

Post a Comment