Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Movie Review - Frost/Nixon (2008)

Starring Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt, and Sam Rockwell
Written by Peter Morgan
Directed by Ron Howard


This flick was praised at the end of 2008, nominated for several Academy Awards including Best Picture, Director, Actor, and Screenplay. Did it deserve that praise?

Sort of.

It's not there was anything bad about the film. The acting, directing, and writing were all top-notch. Langella's Nixon and Sheen's Frost were both excellent. Howard's somewhat documentary-style direction was an interesting take. The dialogue was sharp.

In the end, though, the film is just there. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it never drew me in at all. Maybe it's because I'm so far removed from the situation in terms of my age -- meaning that since I wasn't "affected" by Nixon's resignation, the final apology by Nixon didn't really mean anything to me.

I definitely liked the film and I admired all aspects of the production, but it didn't connect with me in any way emotionally.

The RyMickey Rating: B

2 comments:

  1. That's essentially how I felt about it. I like every part of the movie, but afterwards... I never thought about it again, really. Unless I happened to be reading about Nixon. Langella deserved the nomination, the writing and directing, maybe did. It didn't deserve a best picture nomination. That should have been Wall*e, Dark Knight, or even Rachel Getting Married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even get me started on the no Wall*E Best Pic nom and the complete lack of love for Rachel Getting Married.

    It's tough for me to hate on Frost/Nixon, though, because I liked everything about it...I just didn't love anything about it.

    ReplyDelete